The International Collaboration on Nutrition in relation to Cancer (ICONIC) is a formal Task Force of the International Union of Nutritional Sciences (IUNS).
The Task Force developed out of the recognition of the need to achieve internationally what the Cancer and Nutrition Collaboration is working towards at a national (UK) level.
It consists of organisations with international commitment and responsibility in relation to nutrition and cancer, and is chaired by Professor Alan Jackson, Emeritus Professor in Human Nutrition at the University of Southampton in the UK. Currently, members of the Task Force include the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), Union of International Cancer Control (UICC) and the International Malnutrition Task Force. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) are also formal observers of the Task Force.
The Task Force aspires to build collaborations between the responsible bodies involved in nutrition and cancer at international level, with the ambition of adding value by bringing leadership, coherence and focus to existing activities, and stimulating new ones. Through this, the aims are to:
- Build capacity that will support practitioners in their training and practice
- Promote research leading to public policy focused on impactful interventions
- Promote improved care and outcomes for those affected by cancer
In support of the aims above the objectives of the Task Force are to:
- Foster a global community of clinicians, oncologists, scientists, researchers, patients and the public to share knowledge, understanding and best practice;
- Jointly deliver high quality research; to build capability and capacity in the area of nutrition and cancer to foster excellence in research and practice and ensure continuity into the future;
- Raise awareness of the opportunities to improve prevention and care in people living with and beyond cancer through nutrition; and
- Provide a robust base for public policy to address the increasing burden of cancer.
For further information about the Task Force or to get involved, please contact Rachel Marklew (Project Manager) using the form below.